Thursday, November 3, 2011

Oops I forgot I had a blog. Oh yeah, and I got engaged.

I must be the worst blogger ever, as I keep forgetting I have this thing. Perhaps if my life were more exciting then I'd be more inclined to update it. At least now I have something to write about, which is that my boyfriend Michael and I got engaged yesterday :). 

November 1st was the 3 year anniversary of when we met, and we'd always said we'd get engaged once we'd been together for three years, so we did. This was in no way a 'traditional' engagement, as it was something we'd talked about for a while, so Mike didn't suprise me by getting down on one knee. There was no 'popping the question' either. Mike doesn't feel comfortable with the showy, traditional romanticism expected of the man in this situation and, to be honest, neither do I. So instead we went together to one of the big jewellery shops in the centre of Bristol and purchased a very modest engagement ring. And I do mean very modest. I find the idea of being wearing a ring covered in silly diamonds which cost more than a month's mortgage, quite utterly stupid. What's important about engagement, and then marriage, is the love between the two people, not the jewellery they wear. On the other hand, it's sometimes nice to have a pretty thing occasionally, which is why I didn't forsake the ring entirely. 

We do have a picture of the thing somewhere, but at the moment it's on Mike's phone and he's unable to email it to me because... well because he can't be bothered. The actual ring is currently being resized because I have ugly fat sausage fingers and the one at he shop didn't fit. So now I get to embark on the interesting journey that is wedding planning. Not that the wedding will be for at least another two years. A world of tacky tiaras, uncomfortable dresses, and needless decorations await, and I'm sure I will find it rather irritating at times, which is why I intend to blog about it because, lets face it, angry blogs are the most fun.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, AJ! I discovered your blog recently - it is great! As someone interested in the reign of Henry VIII, I find your blog to be very interesting and as a rarity, very balanced. Good luck with the wedding planning and your Phd.

    ReplyDelete