Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Allergy Watch - Starbucks Gluten Free Sandwich

Ages ago, I'd heard that Starbucks were introducing a gluten-free sandwich, but I've never seen one until now. I even went looking on the web recently to see if they actually had made one, and discovered that the flavour was cheese and coleslaw. We stopped at a service station on the way back from London last night, and there was a Starbucks there, and I spotted this sandwich. It's really not obvious that it's gluten-free, as the words on the label are so tiny. I wouldn't usually pick the flavour as I don't really like coleslaw, but I thought I'd give it a go. 

It's made with 'genius' brand gluten-free bread, and the bread is nice. It tastes like real bread, not like cardboard, and it's not stupidly crumbly. The innards of the sandwich was rather pungant, as there were two different types of cheese and the coleslaw. It was perfectly acceptable, but not really something I'd choose if there were lots of options as I still don't like coleslaw. But if I'm ever at a starbucks on route somewhere and need something to eat, then I'd probably get one again. It's not cheap though, but nothing gluten-free is (you know, because we obviously choose to be this way). 

No comments:

Post a Comment