Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Exclusion Diet - The tough 2 weeks are over

Finally, the first two weeks of the exclusion diet are over and I can start to re-introduce foods. I really got sick of the bland stuff by the end of it. It's rather disheartening when someone else in your house gets to eat whatever they want and all you can look forward to is a bit of chicken and rice. My monthly period arrived on Saturday evening, meaning I was in absolute agony then and all day Sunday, and I could not do with the hassle of the silly diet on top of everything else. I decided to pick corn as my first thing to re-introduce as it meant I could have my gluten-free pasta for lunch, seeing as I really didn't fancy spud innards (I'm not even allowed the skin of a potato on this thing). I was naughty and had two gluten-free chocolate biscuits because the cramping from the period was making me feel sick and I thought they might settle my stomach. As I said before, I didn't care about sticking to the rules anymore once I was in so much pain that I had to take morphene. 

On Monday, I was due to travel from Bristol to my mum's house in Gloucestershire, and then on to London to see WWE wrestling at the O2 arena. I couldn't go straight from Bristol to London as I was taking my 15 year old brother and he can't get on the train by himself. Of course, my period, instead of being its usual 4 days early, had come at exactly the right time in order to make my trip out as painful as possible. In the end, the pain wasn't so bad but I was hit by the most god awful hormonal nausea, which exacerbated my motion sickness. It's a bit like morning sickness but without being pregnant, and I spent the whole process of getting to my mum's house (bus, train, car) thinking I was going to vomit or faint. Needless to say, the stupid diet went completely out of the window. I grabbed a coke at the train station shop hoping it might alleviate the sick feeling, and my mum made me pasta with real, not soy, margerine on it (wow!) for lunch. Luckily, the motion sickness went away for the journey into London, as I was contemplating giving up and calling it a day (my mum would have had to go in my place, and wrestling isn't her cup of tea). But there was no chance of sticking to the diet when at the O2 arena. I had several more cokes, a chocolate milkshake, and steak and chips. I'd looked through the dining options the night before, and it was rather restrictive, given my usual allergies. At least I'm not vegetarian though, because there really isn't anywhere there to eat if you are. As it was, the waitress at the place we picked got a bit arsey when I politely asked them not to grill my steak on the same thing as the tomatoes. Then they must have gone out the back to slaughter the cow becase it took them forever to bring our food, and she got arsey again when my brother asked where it was! We got a total of 10 minutes to eat before having to get to our seats, so I shovelled the steak as fast as I could. 

Today, I've continued being naughty and had real margerine again, chocolate yogarts, and a gluten free beer. I know I'm being terrible but I've had enough. As I said to my mum, the dietician will just have to understand. My priority at the moment is to lessen the physical pain I'm in because of my period, and if that means shoving chocolate in my gob, then so be it. I'll probably go back to being strict when I get home tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment